Kirkland Garners Straus Trophy With 1427 Points; Lowell Second

Winning House On Top at Close Of Winter Season; Winthrop, Eliot Finish Fourth, Fifth

Amassing a total of 1427 points in House athletic competition over the past year, Kirkland for the second time has won the Straus inter-House athletic trophy, Adolph W. Samborski '25, Director of Intramural Athletics, announced yesterday. Lowell was second in the final standings with 1345 1/2 points.

Since the Straus cup competition was established five years ago, Lowell has been the winner three times; in 1934-35, 1935-36, and last year. Kirkland first broke into the win column in 1936-37.

Adams Third

A long way back of the leaders, Adams finished third this year with 1200 1/2 points. Winthrop's 1177 5-6 points gave the Puritans fourth place. Heading the second division is Eliot with 1095 points, followed by Leverett with 1033 2-3 points in sixth place. Dudley with 922 points in seventh, and the Funsters with 904 2-3 points in the cellar position.

The Deacons have been out in front consistently since fall. At the end of the winter season, they already led Lowell by a 66 point margin. The relative standings of the House teams has not changed since that time.

Kirkland Won Crew

Although Kirkland won only one spring sport, crew, by piling up seconds and thirds the Deacons widened their lead over the Bellboys. Lowell, however, won the inter-House track meet and tied with Adams in the baseball league. Fourth-place Winthrop copped House tennis honors.

Kirkland started off with a minor bang last fall when the Deacon football team earned a tie with Winthrop. This spring the Kirkland crew was the only Harvard House aggregation to score a victory in the contests with champion Yale college teams.

In House competition this year default figures have fallen to a new low, with a corresponding rise in total participation in the intramural sports program.