STUDENT FACULTY TO CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS

PHILLIPS BROOKS HOUSE HOPES TO ENROLL 100 TUTORS

The unique idea of teaching while you learn, combined with social service work, has been put into effect by the Phillips Brooks House "undergraduate faculty." Last year, the faculty's first, fifty students taught an equal number of high school boys from the lower income brackets subjects they were studying themselves.

"Sharing the brains" is the group's announced democratic ideal, and the brains are shared with boys aiming towards college when finances permit, and those who would be aided in their jobs by academic work.

Meeting his student "tutor" once or twice a week in his college rooms, the "tutee" uses his books and notes, attends lectures and laboratories, visits college museums with him, and participates as much as possible in undergraduate life.

Some Fine Results

The "tutees" are chosen on the basis of scholastic grades and principals' recommendations, and some spectacularly successful cases were reported last year. One boy completed two full years of college mathematics last year. Another was awarded a scholarship in the Harvard Summer School to continue the work he had begun with his undergraduate professor.

Student tutors, besides gaining experience in social work, are said to improve their own marks by being forced to learn a subject well enough to be able to teach it. Some of the tutored improved on their old jobs by knowing, for example, the mathematical and physics back of radio engineering.

This year the P.B.H. undergraduate faculty aims at a quota double the size of their first--100 tutors and 100 tutees.