ARMOR

Favorite choice of Freshmen as an occupation this year was the medical profession, with law and education trailing in its wake. Below these three in ranking of popularity came business. Back in the buoyant and optimistic twenties a class that made such a choice would have been branded as down-right heretical by rugged individualistic, Coolidge-loving fathers. But America has changed since then.

Today, with Europe blowing itself into a lost civilization, with the backlash of our own frontier expansion playing havoc with our economic traditions, free enterprise in the glorious world of business seems to have lost its glamor. The bulls and the bears that once roamed The Street have been harnessed. Morgan, Carnegie, and Rockefeller are fast growing into legends of another age. And the eyes of the bewildered undergraduate look for security instead of pots of gold at the end of every rainbow of fantastic speculation.

So the undergraduate chooses medicine, hopping on the already overcrowded band-wagon, feeling it may carry him safely through the hectic years that lie ahead. Governments may fall and financial systems disintegrate, but not in his lifetime will human anatomy change, not in his lifetime will human disease cease. Society, no matter what form it may take, will provide livelihood for those who can cure, repair, reconstruct.