Professors Warn All Students Against Tutoring Schools: "Use at Own Risk"

Cram Parlor Notes in 3 Courses Branded as "Inadequate" and "Misleading"

Warnings to students preparing for examinations not to use tutoring schools or tutoring school notes were voiced in statements issued yesterday by three members of the College Faculty.

Carleton S. Coon assistant professor of Anthropology, criticized the College Tutoring Bureau specifically; after reading the "outlines" sold by the Bureau to students, Coon labelled them as "useless."

In an announcement sent through the mails by the College Tutoring Bureau last week, the Bureau claimed that our "outlines are complete and thorough, yet clear and concise, and students have found them invaluable in preparing for all quizzes and examinations."

Full of Misinformation

Speaking for Anthropology 1a, Professor Coon declared that "these notes seem to have been compiled about 1934. None of the books included in the bibliography attached to the notes were published after 1934.

"The notes would be not only useless as a preparation for the final examinations in that course but also misinforming. I am fully acquainted with the misspellings and general misinformation which they contain," Coon said.

Samuel H. Cross '12, professor of Slavic Languages and Literatures, also stresses the inaccuracy of tutoring school notes. Speaking of the notes for Slavic I, Cross says, "they are incomplete, inaccurate, and full of misspellings which, when appearing frequently in the same set of examination books, are a clear indication where the student got his information."

"These summaries offer plots and other content in readily identifiable tabloid form, and such critical material as they include is simply are has of well-known secondary material which students will parrot at their own risk."

Assistant Professor Ernest J. Simmons said yesterday that the notes for English 5 were "totally inadequate. I do not give a streamlined course adaptable to tutoring, and questions on my examinations cannot be spotted by tutoring schools," Simmons stated.