VARSITY OUT TO CRACK INDIAN'S SEVEN YEAR STREAK

Both Teams Lack Running Stars Will Rely On Aerial Attack

By David B. Stearns

"Behold there shall arise after them seven years of famine" were the words of Joseph to the Pharaoh back in the land of Egypt. On the greensward of the Stadium today the Crimson jerseyed Har-low-vards are out to put an end to the seven lean years, the seven years of famine which Harvard football has suffered at the hands of the Big Green from Hanover.

Back in 1932 the Crimson eleven eked out a 10 to 7 win but since then the boys in green have returned to their native hills with a 7 to 7 tie and six victories tucked under their belts to say nothing of countless goal posts and empty whiskey flasks tucked safely away in their convertibles.

But this afternoon starting at 2 o'clock it may be a different story. No Hutchinson--no MacLeod.--That is the cry of woe which the releases from New Hampshire are screaming. The team is potentially a powerhouse with a line that in spots is the equal of any team in the Ivy League with two obvious exceptions. Coach Earl Blaik, in fact, hasn't been worrying too much about his line during the past week; he's been hunting all over the hilly terrain of Hanover for a climax runner, a runner with speed, a runner who can break loose.

No Backfield Speed

Coach Dick Harlow has shared the worries of Blaik on this same score. What holes his capable line has lifted in the enemy forward bulwarks the backfield has been slow to take advantage of. No hip-maneuvering speed merchants have as yet appeared on the Crimson Varsity.

To offset this weakness on the ground, both Blaik and Harlow have gone into huddles with themselves and have come out with the same resolution, PASSING. For the Crimson mentor this has meant two shifts in the starting lineup. Last year's Yardling captain, Don McNicol, who is reputed to sling a mean aerial, has been inserted into the starting lineup in place of Charley "The Baron" Spreyer at tailback and Covina, California's Jack Morgan, another newcomer to the Varsity, has taken over the left end slot from Joe Kouman. According to reports from the Charles River practice turf, Morgan is to be highly feared and respected when aerials loop into his territory.

For the Big Green, Sophomore Ray Wolfe has up to this point carried the offensive responsibilities almost single-handed. Currently the No.1 chukker on Blaik's eleven, he also is dangerous as a pass-snarer, having scored against Yale on a 40-yard pass completion. With Wolfe and Dale Bartholomew, another Junior wingback, Blaik thinks he has a substantial passing threat.

Johnny Krol, Bud Kast, Joe Arico and Ray Hall are the other backfield threats that the Indians have to offer Arico is speedy but light, Hall is a chunky plunger, Kast is shifty but inexperienced, and Krol is to all appearances only a disappointment.

Captain Lou Young at right guard and Bob O'Brien at tackle are the only consistent performers in the Indian front line, Young is a sixty minute man.

As for the Harlowmen, two linesmen, Dick Pfister and Burgy Ayres, who until today have heard the referee's starting tweet from secure positions on the bench, will this afternoon held down berths of the opening lineup. Pfister has been recalled from the ranks of the blocking backs to plug a gap at right guard. Ayres gets the nod over Lone Star Diets mostly because of his more accurate snap-backs. Diets has shown himself a lion on defense in heavy duty games thus far when Ayres was out with an injury.Pete Elsor's smashing play has won him a regular starting berth at left tackle in place of mountainous Vern Miller.