Varsity Enthusiastic, Powerful Despite Problems, Harlow Asserts

Pessimism Waning As Team Acquires Polish

By Donald Peddle

A stronger team than last year sparked by fine spirit is the forecast Dick Harlow makes for his 1940 Crimson grid machine the day before its first game of the year. There is no climax runner among, the starting backfield quartet, and line reserves are still a problem, but the first team, weighing in at 188 pounds from tackle to tackle, will give a good account of itself.

Pessimism has been the prevailing note in the Harvard football camp all fall, especially as the injury list mounted, but recent pep and enthusiasm have done a lot to change the picture. There is the growing conviction among competent observers down at the practice field in the afternoons that if the Crimson Juniors can flash their weekday form on Saturdays, they will give the major opponents on their schedule all they can handle. Signal drills go along at a merry clip, with the squad beginning to acquire that fine veneer of polish and precision for which Harlow elevens are famous.

Passing Shines

Passing was the highlight of yesterday's workout, as Charley Spreyer, Don McNicol, and Cliff Helman all found the mark time after time. The Harvard aerial game will definitely show a great improvement over last fall

Thirty-three Lord Jeffs will work out in the Stadium this afternoon from 2:30 to 3:30, followed by Harvard on a 3:45 to 4:45 shift. The visitors will stay at the Belmont Country Club and will be joined by 22 additional team members tomorrow morning. H. A. A. officials report one of the highest advance sales in years for an opening game and predict that the crowd will be in the vicinity of 20,000.

The announced Harvard starting lineup is as follows: le, MacKinney; lt, Elser; lg, Peabody; c, Dietz; rg, Koufman; rt, Gardiner; re, Forte; qb, Heiden; lh, McNicol; rh, Lee; fb, Gardella.