BROWN WILL GIVE AMES LECTURES ON THEATRE

IBSEN AND HIS INFLUENCE' FIRST SUBJECT, MARCH 7

John Mason Brown '23, New York dramatic critic, will deliver a series of eight lectures on "Modern Masters of the Theatre" at the University starting March 7.

These will be the Winthrop Ames Memorial Lectures on the Theatre, established recently by Mrs. Winthrop Ames, of North Easton and New York City, in memory of her husband, Winthrop Ames '95, New York and Boston theatrical producer.

The lectures will be given in Emerson D at 8 o'clock and will be open to students and faculty members of Harvard and Radcliffe.

Lectures Listed

The dates and titles are: March 7, "lbsen and His Influence;" March 14, "The Perfect Shavian--G.B.S.;" March 21, "Beyond Realism--Chekhov;" March 28, "Barrie vs. Galsworthy;" April 11, "Three English Comic Writers: Wilde, Maugham and Coward;" April 18, "Modern Tragedy--Eugene O'Neill and Maxwell Anderson;" April 25, "The American Theatre Comes of Age--Barry, Kaufman, etc.;" and May 9, "The Drama of Social Significance -- Odets, Saroyan, etc."

At the first lecture, March 7, Dean Chase will speak about the establishment of the Memorial Lectures, on behalf of the University, and Guthrie McClintic will introduce Brown.

Brown, dramatic critic for the New York Evening Post and the author of many works on the theatre, has given courses on the modern theatre in the Summer School for the past three years.