Two - Hour Show Inaugurates Crimson Radio Network Series

First Radio Production Headlines Tyng, Jazz-Lab, Symphony, And News

The Crimson Radio Network's two-hour inaugural program went out over the University heating pipes last night as Dean Chase and Loring Andrews, WRUL Program Director, sent the undergraduate station off to a flying start.

Other features on the opening broadcast included a short talk by William W. Tyng '41, Chairman of the Network; "Jazz Lab," a half-hour swing program; "Music Masters," an hour of symphonic music; and a 15 minute news broadcast and informal interview.

Tonight the Network will be on the air from 8 to 11 o'clock.

Conant Can't Hear

Reception throughout the University was far from perfect, as many would-be listeners, including President Conant, reported that they were unable to tune in the program. Poorest reception was in Eliot and Leverett Houses, and in general in top-floor rooms in college buildings.

Network engineers pointed out that many transmission kinks will need to be ironed out in the near future in an attempt to extend the area of effective reception.

One near-disaster occurred during Andrews' talk, when the desk microphone into which he was speaking went dead. The control-room crew saved the situation by turning up the volume and picking up the remainder of his speech from a floor microphone standing in the far corner of the studio.