WALSH APPOINTED TO MAKE SURVEY OF DINING HALLS

EFFICIENCY IS AIM

Edward J. Walsh has been appointed investigator into conditions in the House Dining Halls, according to an announcement yesterday by Aldrich Durant, business manager of the University. Walsh has already started his work and his survey will last for two or three more weeks.

As commissary manager of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company, Walsh supervises the serving of from 20,000 to 25,000 meals daily. Durant referred to him as "an expert with a national reputation."

Durant's action came after a declaration by him before vacation that he would appoint a qualified investigator to inquire into the inefficiency and poor preparation of food in the dining halls. Three weeks ago the nine-man Student Council Committee on Board in the Houses had reported on these conditions, and had advised that both an investigator and a permanent dietitian should be appointed.

Increase Efficiency

The Council report advised "the hiring of an expert in the administration of large dining halls to make a survey of the present set-up at Harvard with a view to improving its efficiency."

Durant followed this report with a statement to the effect that he was "asking the University to engage, at once if possible, the services of a firm or individual fully accredited in the restaurant business to make an impartial survey and report upon all the dining hall system's operations."