Alumni Take Batsmen In Practice Game, 5-3

Veterans Cop Lead in Second Inning By Three Runs as Crimson Nine Slumps in Lifeless Game

By John W. Ballantine

A bad second inning spelled defeat for the Varsity nine yesterday afternoon as the Alumni capitalized on two errors and three scratch hits to push across three runs and then went on to win an uninspired practice game, 5 to 3.

Tom Bilodeau and Johnny Prior singled to start the inning for the old grads, putting men on first and third. Clay retired the next two men on flies and seemed to be out of trouble when a poor throw by Bob Regan allowed Bilodeau to score on a double steal. Dudley then singled Prior home and Freddy Keyes let another run in as he held Todd's single after a brilliant stop.

Although they were hitting both Prior and Devens with fair case all afternoon, good control and smart fielding kept the veterans out of trouble. They executed three double plays, as Bilodeau at shortstop turned up with one fielding gem after another, bringing nostalgia for former days.

Tally in Fifth

In the fifth the Crimson put together a tally on singles by Regan and Keyes and Lee Hartstone's fly, but Prior's looping homer with Todd on base in the seventh squashed Crimson hopes.

Devens, warming up in a Yankee lacket yielded a hit is Ed Buckley on his first pitch, and was reached for four more in the course of three innings, but still showed flashes of his old form as he struck out six. The runs off Devens came on a wild throw by Bilodeau and a fly by Buckley.

Both Keyes and Gene Lovett showed improved hitting, collecting two each along with Burgy Ayres, Buckley and Regan. As a result of divisionals Seniors are hors de combat until the Cornell invasion Friday.

The lineups: ALUMNI  HARVARD P. Todd 2b  ss Keyes Johns 3b  cf Hartstone Donaghy 3b  lf Pitchford L. Todd cf  rf Lovett Chase 2b  1b Ayres Bilodeau ss  2b Buckley Prior p  3b Whittemore Devens p  c Regan Whitney lf  p Clay Lupien rf  p Schwede Dudley c  Parsons   Lynch