H.S.U. HITS PROPAGANDA IN HISTORY 1 LECTURES

PAMPHLET DISTRIBUTED AT DOOR OF NEW LECTURE HALL

In an attack leveled at the heads of the History 1 instructors for "Anglophile" beliefs and teachings, the Student Union published yesterday a sheet of notes taken on History 1 lectures.

The article, which was distributed to the students as they entered the lecture room, contained many virulent references to the alleged editing of historical fact to conform with the view-point of the instructor.

Students Agree

Published under the title "Giving Harvard the Needle," it charged that the instructors had "deified the British, glorified war, and deplored the American peace sentiment." Students of the course who were contacted yesterday concurred with what the H.S.U. had said in its attack.

Samples of notes taken by students in the lectures of Paul P. Cram, instructor in History, were included, aiming to show that some of his statements were outright propaganda.

The Student Union said that the instructors were trying to "whip up a blind war hysteria in the line followed by the professors in 1916-17." Most particularly was the denunciation aimed at Cram.

With the exception of Roger B. Merriman '96, Gurney Professor of History, who did not wish to be quoted, none of the instructors could be reached last night for comment.