753 Freshman to Live In Yard Dormitories

Walker House at 40 Quincy Street Is Made an Official Hall for '44

Harvard's thousand freshmen will find themselves living for the most part in the historic elm-shaded Yard which until nine years ago was the sanctum of the Senior Class. Here they will exist as a unit more or less separated from the rest of the college with their lives centering in the Harvard Union, combination dining room, pool parlor, dance hall, and library.

The problem of housing the freshmen caused great difficulay until the Houses were completed in 1930 and the upper classmen were moved away from the Yard. Previous to this time first year men had existed in a precarious hand-to-mouth fashion in dormitories and local boarding houses with little integration of the class as a whole.

Freshmen Prove Gentlemanly

While sacrificing Harvard's most sacred buildings to the barbarous freshmen was viewed with consternation by many old-timers, the change has not yet destroyed the buildings and Charles Townsend Copeland '82, Professor of Oratory and Rhetoric emeritus, beloved for many years as "Copey" and known as a fixture in Hollis Hall, has observed that the Freshmen are quite as gentlemanly as the Seniors.

Thus 753 members of the class of 1944 will find themselves in rooms directly around the Yard and will be able to distinguished initials on their walls of predecessors dated 1776.

In order to accommodate those who applied after the August 1st deadline a variety of arrangements have been made. The larger part live at home. For the others there is one Hall outside the Yard and a block of rooms is reserved in Apley.

The new Hall located at 40 Quincy Street has been occupied by 40 Freshmen for the past two years and by vote of the Corporation was named Walker House this spring. It is famed as the home of such Harvard greats as President Walker, President Baxter of Williams and Professor Kirsopp Lake.