A.R.P. COURSE MEETING HELD

Movie, Talks Depict Raids As Future Wardens Sign Up

The importance of A.R.P. training was stressed by six speakers before an audience of 250 people at the preliminary meeting of the University's new Air Raid Warden training course last night in the New Lecture Hall. A movie of British air raid precautions completed the program.

Professor Emeritus Julian L. Coolidge, who is in charge of the course, chaired the meeting and introduced the other speakers. Mr. J. M. Laughlin, Assistant Regional Director of the First Civilian Defense Region, spoke first, and emphasized the fact that New England, with its concentration of industry and extensive military and naval strength would be the first target in case of eventual attack.

Town and Gown Cooperation Stressed

Major Ralph Robart, Chief Warden of Cambridge, stressed the town and gown cooperation which will result from the A.R.P. program.

Charles Francis Adams '88, member of the Corporation, spoke for the University, and expressed high hopes for the course. Hon. L. O. Barrows, Director of the A.R.P. School for Industry run by the Massachusetts Committee of Public Safety, was unable to be present, but will address the class some time during the course.

K. S. Kate, former American business representative in France, concluded the program with a discussion of his experiences in Europe. Applications for enrollment in the course were distributed.