CONANT PLANNING ADDRESS TO 1945

Speaks Informally at Union Next Wednesday Evening

President Conant's introductory address to the Class of '45 has been scheduled for November 12 at 7:15 in the dining hall of the Union. True to custom, the talk will be informal and the topic will not be announced before hand.

When he succeeded President Lowell in 1933, President Conant abandoned the practice of addressing the Freshmen at the first meeting of the year, postponing the "get acquainted" talk until the new students had cleared the first hurdle of hour exams and had gained some knowledge of the College.

The Class of '45 has seen President Conant only once during the year, if the traditional Sunday afternoon teas are overlooked. That was when he presided at the "word of advice and warning" meeting soon after registrations when Richard M. Gummere, Chairman of the Board of Admissions, Robert F. Bradford, District Attorney of Middlesex Country, and Dean Sperry spoke to the assembled Yardlings.

After the Freshmen have settled down on the floor of the Union, Dean Leighton will introduce President Conant. Last year the only official opportunity the Class of '44 had to hear Conant was when he spoke on Harvard's duties in the war in Appleton Chapel.