CRIMSON QUINTET BOWS IN OVERTIME, 52 to 46

Romano Tallies 17 Against Brown Five

PROVIDENCE, R. I., Dec. 10-After leading most of the way, Harvard's basketball team dropped a heart-breaker to Brown here tonight 52-46 when the home team tied it up 44 to 44 three seconds before the end of regulation play and thus robbed the Crimson of repeating last year's victory.

In the overtime period, Joe Romano, whose 17 points were tops among individual Crimson scorers, tallied the only two visiting points while George Delaney and Roy Swingler handed the Bruins a 52 to 46 win.

The story of the game centers around the two high scorers, Romano and Swingler. Harvard had command of the play for the entire first half, as Romano accounted for most of the scoring, while Swingler, who tallied six points against the Crimson grid defense this fall, personally conducted a Brown rally which tied it up 44 to 44 at the end of regular playing time.

Swingler Ties Up Game

Harvard led 42 to 38 three minutes from the end, but Swingler sank two field goals to even the count. Ed Buckley put the Crimson out in front with a long set shot from center court, but Captain Ward Sheffe tipped in a lay up shot with three seconds to play to necessitate an overtime period.

The visitors completely dominated play in the first half. Brown's success in the later minutes was due to its accuracy on long set shots, with which the Harvard defense could not cope.

Swingler was the game's high scorer with 19 points. The rest of the Brown scoring was done by Delaney, who tallied seven, Sheffe with six, Thompson five, Miller four, and Pogson one.

The Crimson lineup:   gls  fls  pts Romano, l.f.  7  3  17 Dillon  0  0  0 Lutz, r.f.  1  1  3 Webber  4  0  8 Lutze, c.  1  1  3 Burditt  2  0  4 Finegan, l.g.  2  1  5 Torgan  0  0  0 Buckley, g  2  0  4 Snyder  0  0  0 Rothschild  1  0  2 Totals  30  6  46