SCIENCE LABS AID DEFENSE

Research In Air Engines Replacing Peace Time Work

Within the halls of the Cruft Physics, the Converse Chemical, and the Graduate School of Engineering's laboratories, projects are now going on night and day which are designed to help the current national defense effort of the United States.

Although the projects are necessarily kept secret, most of the work seems to be devoted to apparatuses related to the detection of airplane motors and to the development of better electrical devices.

In addition to those who are conducting active research in behalf of national defense, there are many scientific professors now acting in consulting capacities for the National Defense Committee and in perpetual liaison with such British scientists as the celebrated Professor H. D. Fowler of Cambridge University.

Most Teachers Help

Several instructors, associate professors and full professors are devoting a considerable amount of their time to the projects, men like Professor Edward C. Kemble of the Physics department and Professor George B. Kistiakowsky of the Chemistry department, while it is estimated that from 80 to 90% of the teachers are devoting at least some of their time to the work.

The scientists are under the general supervision of the National Defense Research Committee. One of the duties of this committee is to go to colleges and to ask cooperation from their scientific departments.

At the present time, passes are required to enter the Cruft Physics laboratories at night owing to the highly confidential nature of the work being conducted there.