PLAN FOR RENTING OF STADIUM FAILS

Bingham Says Scheme is Illegal, Would Subject College to Taxes

Bill Bingham, Director of Athletics, put the dampers on the proposal that Boston College be allowed to rent Soldiers Field next fall for several football games when he explained yesterday that by renting the stadium the University would be going into competition on a commercial basis and would thereby be making itself liable to property taxes on its Soldiers Field grounds.

It has been the policy of the Corporation in the past never to let the stadium except on the request of the mayor of Boston, Bingham also pointed out. In 1931 Stanford played Dartmouth on Soldiers Field and last fall the American Legion drum and bugle corps used the field as a parade ground. Both times it was at the request of the mayor.

Current proposals have suggested that it would be a financially sound proposition to rent the stadium to the Eagles on the weekend that the Crimson football team played out of town. A percentage of the gate receipts would help to make up the deficit in the H.A.A. budget.

According to Bingham, however, the rental proposition is impossible, because in trying to rent the field to Boston College, the University would be going into competition for profit with the owners of private stadiums, such as Fenway Park.