SHORTAGE OF SUGAR CREATES ALARM IN SQUARE EMPORIUMS

Proprietors Remove Sweets From Tables of Customers

Most of the restaurant and fountain owners in the Square are having difficulty-these days keeping all three of that deflectable trio of sugar, spice and everything nice together and available for their customers because of the current sugar shortage.

Envisioning a sad and sugarless day, proprietors of the local eating-places have removed their sugar bowls from the reach of eager "sweet-thieves" to the safe confines of the counter.

Down at Mike's Club on Mt. Auburn Street, Mike is afraid that his customers may have to start drinking just plain milk instead of his famous "Mike Shakes" if he can't get any sugar. "I'm losing down to the State House to see that to do, because without sugar you can't do business," said Mike.

Hazen's was in a perilous situation yesterday with only 20 pounds of sugar on hand and with a demand for 250 to 300 pounds a week. "All we can say to a customer who wants a cup of coffee is "how many?" and he'll know what we mean," explained Cliff. chef of the restaurant.

Hayes-Bickford is taking steps to protect its supply of the precious white grains from any more raids like the one made recently by a little woman with a brown bag who causally filled her bag with sugar and departed without even saying thank you. They now have posted a sign saying that the sugar is being apportioned at the counter because of the present "Public Hysteria."

Down at the Gold Coast Coffee Shop, Mary and Jim told of the harrowing experience they had when they were down to their last two teaspoonfuls before a new supply arrived in the nick of time.

To meet the emergency, Jim Cronin, owner of Jim's Place, is preparing a sign which he displayed in his store during the last war. The sign will read, "Take one spoonful of sugar, Stir like bell! we don't mind the noise."