3-YEAR COURSE NOT REQUIRED

A statement summing up the College's policy toward the new accelerated program was issued Saturday by Paul H. Buck, Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences, in order to clear, up certain misunderstandings evidenced by recent inquires at University Hall.

A few tutors, acting in the capacity of friendly advisers and not as spokemen for the University, have in some exceptional cases counseled their tutees against enrolling in the 12-week session, this summer. It was wondered by their parents, who took that advice as the official College attitude, why Harvard was establishing an accelerated program and advising students not to enroll in it, Dean Buck said.

The complete statement follows:

"Inquiries reaching this office suggest that students have received conflicting advice as to the University's attitude in recommending the new twelve-months accelerated program.

"It seems desirable, therefore, to announce that the accelerated program is part of a general policy designed to assist students in solving their individual problems. It introduces a greater degree of flexibility in the College course so that young men can more readily plan and prepare for an immediate future of new and grave responsibilities.

"The decision as to whether a student should elect the accelerated program is part of the larger decision of the eventual choice of some form of war service. This must remain the individual's own decision. The University's role is to provide information rather than to give advice, and to offer its resources freely to the many men who cannot count on a normal four years course.

"In this respect the University has set up the accelerated program and encourages students to enter upon it who are physically able to undertake the more intensified schedule, and who are anxious to complete as much of their college work as possible before entering the armed services or other war work.