SCHOOL GIVES EXTRA PUBLIC HEALTH CLASS

War Places Extra Burdens On Much-Depleted Faculty

In an effort to train men qualified to deal with the growing problems of sanitation and disease, the University's School of Public Health will begin an intensive course in Industrial Hygiene early in April.

Open to all physicians and engineers, the course will be similar to the training that the School gave last year to three groups of Navy officers, and is typical of the adjustments that the war has required in the School.

Other than this course, however, the School has not changed its customary operating schedule, and is making an effort to accellerate its training. According to officials of the School, "there would be no point in changing the normal fall opening date, since the course only lasts for eight months anyway."

Despite the importance of men trained in public health, enrollment has dropped this year over 15%. The principal reason for this it was disclosed is that the State Health Departments have lost so many of their men to government work that they no longer can spare them for further training.

Another group of men unable to enter the School this year are holders of Rockefeller Fellowships, many of whom used to come from foreign countries. According to Cecil K. Drinker, Dean of the School, however, an increasing enrollment from Central and South America is expected.

Compensating for this decrease in enrollment, the School has lost several of its important Faculty members, two of whom are now abroad, and two serving in the Army and Navy Medical Corps. Among the former is Dr. John E. Gordon, Charles Wilder Professor of Preventive Medicine, who is now active in England, organizing a hospital and studying epidemics in wartime.

In addition, a further burden has been placed upon the School by concentration on actual war work. In addition to its training program, its facilities are being used to a great extent in research. While the exact nature of this cannot be revealed, it has been disclosed that the School has tackled the medical problems involved in high flying under combat conditions.