FAY WANTS FEDERATION IN POST-WAR GERMANY

War Council Hears Cross, Gross Speak

Developing some concrete ideas on the post-war world with particular reference to Germany, Russia, and Central Europe, Professors Sidney B. Fay, Samuel Cross, and Leo Gross addressed an enthusiastic Post War Council audience in a forum held last night in the Lowell House Junior Common Room.

Professor Cross opened the forum with an elucidation of what Russia's probable stand will be at the peace conference. His views were supplemented by Professor Fay's analysis of the treatment of Germany after the war. The last speech was by Professor Gross, concerning the attitude of Central Europe in the years of peace.

Fay Wants Planning Today

Agreeing with Cross plan for regional federation as the answer to the postwar world, Sidney Fay, professor of German History, discarded hidden motives behind war alliances to emphasize that a plan of action accompanied with a frontler settlement must be ready for the armies of occupation when they march into Germany.

Fay believes in starting the new German government not from refugees that have skipped the country, but from the leaders that will appear from the "decent" people in Germany. The process of rehabilitating that country would be first to foster citizen cooperation with the Allies in small towns, then work to regional areas, and finally expand to a synthesization of Germany as a whole.

Fay specifically urged the necessity for feeding Germany, which might be done, he pointed out, by distributing food through the schools and thereby building up a new faith in the educational institutions. Greatest danger to post-war schemes is the group of Germans aged from 15 to 40 years who have lived through Hitler's rise and are staunch advocates of Nasiam.