Col. Howard Takes Command Of All Army Units at Harvard

Saltonstall, Miles to Be in Reviewing Party

Colonel John Kenneth Howard '15, AUS, will take over the direction of 2600, service men on the Harvard grounds this Friday when he follows Colonel William Scott Wood as commanding officer of all Army Training Schools here, it was announced by Army Headquarters yesterday.

Headquarters revealed at the same time that Governor Leverett Saltonstall '14 and Major General Sherman Miles, Commandant of the First Service Command, had accepted their invitations to the combined ATS review tomorrow in honor of retiring Colonel Wood and Colonel Philip Fox, who will retire Thursday, and will be with University dignitaries and other sundry officials in the reviewing party at 5:30 o'clock at Soldiers Field.

Coming From Sturbridge

The new CO will be returning to his alma mater when he comes here from his position as head of the First Service Command Tactical School in Sturbridge, for he received a Harvard S.B. degree in 1915 and an LL.B. in 1917.

As a member of the State Guard, he enlisted for active duty in January, 1942 and, because of previous service and experience, was given the commission of lieutenant-colonel. After serving with the Services of Supply in Washington, he was transferred to Sturbridge and, only a few months ago, was advanced to the rank of colonel.

Makes Home in Boston

Before enlisting, the 52-year-old commandant, who makes his home in Boston, was a partner in the law firm of Gaston, Snow, Hunt, Rice, and Boyd, and held-several insurance executive posts. Born in Paris, Colonel Howard attended Groton School, came to Harvard, and while he was finishing Law School, the war broke out. As a member of the Harvard Regiment, he was commissioned a captain in the Infantry and sent to France in a machine-gun outfit. The Army issued him his discharge papers in February, 1919.

As previously announced, Lieut.-Colonel John F. Heflin, AC, will be commanding officer of the troops that will march.