A. F. I. LAUNCHES SERIES OF TESTS

Students May Still Register For Any of Remaining Exams

Students under the Faculty of Arts and Sciences last night took the first of four Tests of General Educational Development prepared by the Armed Forces Institute. Over 350 men have enrolled for the English, Social Studies, Natural Sciences, and Literature examinations. Tests in Plane Trigonometry, College Algebra, and Analytic Geometry previously announced, are not available and will not be given.

A student who has not already signed for the tests may, nevertheless, enroll for any one, or any combination, of the examinations for which he has time.

For each test that he takes, a civilian undergraduate will be allowed one physical training cut, good at any time in the current term. The undergraduate will be informed by mail of his score and national percentile rating on each separate test, and of his score for the series.

Harvard Norm

From the scores of these tests, the University will establish a Harvard norm to be used as a basis in determining how the tests can be used for admitting returning veterans. The examinations are of the machine-scored, multiple-choice type. They are not easy tests, but they have been designed for the man whose formal education has been interrupted, and hence require ability and aptitude rather than factual knowledge.

In earlier Freshman and sophomore trials throughout the country, a national norm was established. This national rating will be taken into consideration by the University in forming veteran admission requirements. Yale University has recently conducted a similar series of tests, and other New England colleges are considering such action.