Servicemen's Aid Act Faces Houses

To members of the armed services at Harvard, particularly those in the ASTP and V-12 units, the educational provisions of the Servicemen's Aid Act of 1944 should be of interest. The Act, which has been approved unanimously by the Senate Finance Committee and which will probably be taken to the floor of the Senate this week, has been endorsed by 81 members of the Senate.

Among the sections of the Act is a provision which states that any person, man or woman, who has actively served in the armed forces on or after September 16, 1940 and before the end of the war and who received on honorable discharge after at least six months' duty will be eligible for educational training in business or vocational schools, colleges, normal schools, professional schools or universities.

Beginning not later than two years after the veteran's discharge or termination of the war educational training would extend for one year or more, and in some cases as much as four years. A $500 a year allowance for tuition, not including board and living expenses, will be granted to veterans who are full-time students. A subsistence allowance of $50 per month will also be granted. Students with dependents will receive an extra $25 per month.