New Officers Swell Naval Tactics Department's Staff

Havemeyer, Harvard Grad, Is Home Again

Returning from sea duty in the Pacific, Lieutenant Commander Charles Frederick Havemeyer '21, DV(S), USNR, is now attached to the Department of Naval Science and Tactics as an instructor in navigation for the Naval ROTC thirdclassmen.

Sportsman Before Pearl Harbor

A member of the Crimson football squad during his undergraduate days here, Lt. Comdr. Havemeyer served in the first World War as a corporal in the United States Marine Corps, seeing active duty in France and service later with the Army of Occupation in Germany.

Also assigned to teaching duty with this Unit is Lieutenant Commander Maurice B. Hinman, USN (Ret.) who had served in the same capacity prior to his transfer to the Naval Academy last October.

After instructing in the Department of Ordnance and Gunnery at Annapolis, Lt. Comdr. Hinman now has charge of the damage control and engineering studies of NROTC underclassmen, and will conduct five control exercises in future months.

Veteran of many racing seasons in Long Island waters near his Syosset home, he defended the leadership in the six-metre class, and took part in the Bermuda Cup races. With the approach of the present war came active duty as a Lieutenant in 1940, and promotion to present rank followed on October 1, 1942.

Before coming to the present tour of shore duty, Lt. Comdr. Havemeyer commanded a patrol craft and destroyer escort, with operations in both the Atlantic and Pacific.