MARINES STOP CRIMSON NINE

Three Unearned Markers in Sixth Defeat Stahlmen, 6-5

Scoring three unearned runs in the sixth inning, the Portsmouth Marine Detachment handed the Crimson baseball Varsity its second loss in five encounters, 6 to 5 at the winners' diamond.

Jack Wallace, Coach Stahl's ace hurler, "brought it on himself." Jack came down off the mound to make two misplays in the fatal sixth, and that proved to be the ball game.

The visitors outhit Portsmouth, 7 to 6, and forced Giglio, the navy starting pitcher, to withdraw in the fourth, but the Stahlmen just couldn't connect in the pinches, and their five errors provided all but one of the Portsmouth six runs. Hunter's adequate relief job gave him credit for the victory.

Wallace and Chapple collected two hits apiece for the Stahl outfit, and Bob Cappacio's triple was the longest hit of the day.

Crash Davis' B club set down the Tufts B team 10 to 8 last Saturday behind the pitching of Jim Knowles and Dana Bresnaham. The summary of the Varsity game:   ab  r  h  e Falsey, sb  4  1  1  1 Williams, cf  4  0  1  0 Coulson, 1b  4  0  0  0 Chapple, 2b  5  1  2  1 Wallace, p  5  1  2  2 Cappacio, rf  4  0  1  0 Conlon, 1f  4  0  0  0 Dunn, 3b  5  1  0  1 Durant, c  2  1  0  0   37  5  7  5

Harvard  0  0  2  0  1  1  1  0  0--5 Portsmouth  1  0  1  1  0  3  0  0  x--6