'FOREGROUND' LAUNCHED HERE

Graduates Plan to Publish National Literary Quarterly

Under the title of "Foreground," a new literary magazine will be published quarterly, starting this December, by several graduate students of the English department.

Herbert Kramer '43, assistant to Professor I. A. Richards in English '85, and vice-president of the English club, heads the list of executive editors which includes Lyle E. Glazier 3G, teaching fellow in English A, Feb Grobman 2G, Professor Harry Levin's assistant in English 25, Henry Popkin 2G, treasurer of the English Club, and Andre DuBouchet 2G, translator of French poetry.

No Political Blas

The editors have issued a policy statement to the effect that" 'Foreground' has no political or sectional bias but is dedicated to an expression and examination of the cultural foreground." The magazine will contain fiction, poetry, and literary criticism written by both known and new writers, American and foreign. Special attention will be paid to contributions from authors who have not yet established literary reputations.

For the purpose of soliciting manuscripts and prompting sales, "Foreground" has established "reader" contacts in eleven leading American universities, including Mark Schorer at the University of California and Wallace Stegner at Stanford University, both-formerly with the English department.