SHAPLEY WINS SCIENCE PRIZE

Noted Astronomer Receives Franklin Award on April 18

Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy and Director of the Harvard College Observatory, will receive the Franklin Medal for 1945 in ceremonies at the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia on April 18.

The medal is awarded to "workers in physical science or technology, without regard to country, whose efforts have done most to advance a knowledge of physical science or its application."

Shapley, who is president of the American Astronomical Society, of the National Society of the Sigma Xi, and of the Science Clubs of America, was picked in consideration of his many valuable contributions to the science of astronomy and especially of his work in the measurement of the vast distances necessary for the determination of the nature and extent of our galaxy, as well as those of other galaxies external to ours.

The Franklin Institute, widely known for the continuation of Benjamin Franklin's interest in gathering results of natural scientific research and for promotion of further research, will be represented at the ceremonies by its president, Charles V. Redding, who will make the award.

Shapley now joins the ranks of Edison, Marconi, Orville Wright, Einstein, and Charles F. Kettering, who have also received the medal. At present, shapley is working with galaxies, star clusters, and astronomical data on the formation of the earth's crust.