Monetary Conflict Harmful to Peace Plans, Says Harris

Economics Professor Urges Financial Equality at Forum

"The problem to be faced in my international financial planning is to improve the position of foreign countries with respect to the United States" stated Seymour Harris '20, associate professor of Economics, at a forum held last night at the Astronomical Observatory on the problems of the San Francisco Conference. Joining him in the discussion was Miss Emelie Everett, of the Foreign Policy Committee of the Massachusetts League of Woman Voters. Harlow Shapley of the Observatory served as moderator.

U. S. Must Waive Importance

"Others must be able to sell more relatively with respect to the United States, and the United States must be prepared to abandon its traditional policy of economic superiority to one of less relative importance, if we are to have financial stability. Through this relative reduction," he added, "both the United States and other nations will be able to sell more in absolute value."

In outlining the functions of the proposed International banking fund and international bank, Harris pointed to the value of the two proposed organizations. "Dollars must be made more plentiful to foreign buyers," he said, "if fluctuations in currency value such as followed the last war are to be avoided. This," he concluded, "can be best done through the International Fund, which would guarantee private loans, while at the same time preventing currency depreciation."

Discussing the broader aspects of both Dumbarton Oaks and Bretton Woods, Miss Everett pointed to the difficulties of any such proposals.