Varsity Tops Melville Nine for Fifth Victory

Wallace Stops Navy Team 7-4 on 8 Hits

Crimson workhorse Jack Wallace coralled his fifth win of the current season Wednesday 7 to 4 at Newport, Rhode Island, but the big right-hander had to have help in the ninth when Melville PT Boat pushed across two quick scores, loaded the bases, and had the tying run on first base.

The leadoff man in this inning beat out an infield hit and moved along to second when the next man walked. When the following two batters went down on a strikeout and a pop fly, the pressure was off Wallace, but he suddenly went wild, tired badly, and walked three men in a row, forcing in two runs and leaving the sacks jammed. At this point, Coach Stahl yanked Wallace and called in Norm Wholley. Wholley took his warmup pitches, got the first batter he faced on a routine grounder to short, and the game was over.

Alrtight Fielding

Coach Stahl commented yesterday as his squad loafed through a light batting drill that steadier defense play and an edge in the pitching department turned the trick against Melville. Wallace, who was pitted against a former Chicago White Sox hurler, notched ten strikeouts.

After picking up two runs in the third and another in the fifth to take a 3 to 2 lead, the Crimson found the range and teed off in the sixth on starting pitcher Reed. Reed was shelled from the mound with a three-run barrage, and Phelps finished up for Melville. Crumrine started the fireworks with a walk and scampered to third on Forte's line single to center. Coach Stahl then flashed the double-steal sign; and when Lindwirth grounded out, Crumrine came in to score, and Forte scampered all the way to third. Coppinger walked and as Allen slapped a single into left field scoring Forte, Phelps was rushed in to take up the pitching chores for the PT Boat nine. Wallace greeted him with a sharp single to right, which drove in Coppinger with the third run of the inning. Reed struck out the next two men to face him but the damage had been done, and Wallace had a four-run lead to work on.

The Varsity will entrain tomorrow morning for Providence, where they are slated to meet Brown in a return game. In their earlier match, the Bruins eked out a 6 to 5 win over the Cambridge squad.

The summary:

ab  h  po  a  eForte, 2b  4  1  2  0  0Lindewirth, c  3  0  14  0  0Coppinger, 3b  2  1  1  3  0Allen, lf  4  1  1  0  0Wallace, p  5  3  1  1  0Closky, ss  5  1  0  1  1Ayres, rf  4  0  3  0  0Carlton, cf  4  1  2  0  0Crumrine, 1b  3  0  3  0  0Wholley, p  0  0  0  0  034  8  27  5