Fradd to Resume Old Post As Assistant Athletics Head

Acted as Consultant In Work With Army

Norman W. Fradd will return Monday to his position as assistant director of physical education which he left on a leave of absence in June, 1944. An expert on physical education, he has served since his departure as a civilian consultant on rehabilitation and reconditioning, attached to the First Service command.

Adolph W. Samborski '25, who has been acting assistant director of physical training activities in Fradd's absence, will return next week to this former duties as director of intramural athletics.

In his recent job Fradd supervised the remedial phase of the rehabilitation program, dealing with men in the latter stages. His work covered the entire area of New England.

Fradd constantly enlarged his service during the year he worked for the army. He started originally at Fort Devens with 300 casualties from Lovell and Cushing General Hospitals and from several other receiving stations in the area.

After the patients increased to 1,100, Fradd moved to a new Convalescent Hospital at Camp Edwards. Finally on January 5, 1945, he inaugurated a new 6,000 bed reconditioning base hospital at Camp Edwards. The sports facilities used at this new hospital included several playing fields, an enclosed sports arena, a swimming pool, and 16 remedial gymnasiums.

Fradd put his patients through an intensive ten week physical improvement program to prepare them for active military service of, if they failed to pass regular army physical efficiency, tests, give them medical discharges. In the final stages of this program, calisthenics, marches, obstacle courses, and group games were included.

Came Here in 1919

Fradd first came here in 1919 as an instructor in physical training after service as director of the physical reconditioning program at Walter Reed Hospital at Washington. After World War I he pioneered a new type of athletic program and more recently introduced the Harvard Step Test, used widely in service camps and now being used here to test the physical fitness of new Freshmen