Dunning to Be New Dean for Dental School

University Names Three Doctors To Endowed Professorships On Faculty of Medical School

Dr. James M. Dunning '26 has been advanced to the position of dean of the School of Dental Medicine, it was announced last night by Dr. C. Sidney Burwell, dean of the Medical School.

The forty-two-year old war veteran succeeds Dr. A. LeRoy Johnson, who resigned recently after three year's duty as administrative officer of the Dental School. Dr. Dunning will also serve as associate dean of the Faculty of Medicine, a position which Dr. Johnson held previously.

Gross Appointed

Appointments of three new Medical School professors have also been announced. Dr. Robert E. Gross, Boston practitioner, has become William E. Ladd Professor of Child Surgery and head of the department of surgery at the Children's Hospital.

Dr. William T. Green has been named Clinical Professor of Orthopaedic Surgery and will in addition assume the responsibilities of director of orthopaedic surgery at the Children's Hospital. Dr. Joseph S. Barr has been appointed to a professorship identical to Dr. Green's and will also act as the director of orthopaedic surgery at the Massachusetts General Hospital.

Dunning at Metropolitan

For several years the president of the Dental Health Service of New York City, Dr. Dunning has also held the post of dental director for the Metropolitan Life Insurance Co. After graduating from Harvard, he studied dentistry at Columbia University, receiving his degree in 1930.

His early experience included work as dentist with the Grenfell Mission to Labrador in the summers of 1930 and 1938, and the post of attending dentist with the Heckscher Foundation for Children. During the war he served as a lieutenant commander stationed in the Third Naval District.