Tigers Claw Varsity Quintet, 45-35; Lawry's 23 Points Pace Nassaumen

Shoddy Showing in First Half Proves Costly to Crimson; Holy Cross Belts Valparaiso

By Irvin M. Horowitz

A listless first-half performance and a crafty Princeton forward named George Lawry cost the Varsity basketball team its second consecutive Ivy League defeat last night at the Boston Garden. The Tigers, leading all the way, won 45 to 35.

For four minutes the Crimson held its own against the shifty, Nassau quintet, but Lawry began to plague the Varsity with astounding accuracy on thirty-foot set shots, Joe Holman caged five consecutive fouls, and Princeton found itself with 27 points at the half. The Crimson couldn't find the basket and scored only 14.

Second Half Rally Falls

In the second half, the Varsity tried hard to make up the deficit, outscoring the Princetonians 21 to 18, but Coach Bill Barclay's foces were never closer than six points behind the Tigers, and the visitors moved away in the final ten minutes to win without trouble.

Barclay used five men to guard Lawry at various stages of the evening, but none was especially effective. The Princeton forward scored from outside on Steve Davis, Leo Page,, and Pete Petrillo in the first half, and when Bill Henry and Saul Mariaschin guarded him closer in the final period, he dribbled in to tally. When the evening ended, he had eight field goals and seven fouls for a 23-point aggregate. Lawry has habitually enjoyed his hottest nights against Harvard.

Also aiding the Nassau victory was the Tigers' performance at the foul line. Princeton converted 17 of 22 free throws in a foul-fraught contest. The Varsity made a respectable 11 for 15, but the swifter Princeton players were able to draw more penalty shots, a big factor in their triumph.

For the Crimson, George Hauptfuhrer and Mariaschin again showed themselves the only consistent scorers. Of Harvard's 12 field goals, this duo accounted for all but one, netting 13 points apiece. Although other Varsity performers, notably Leo Page and John Gantt, turned in good floor performances, an appalling number of shots were missed by the Barclay charges.

Other Princeton Stars

Lawry wasn't the only Tiger ace. Joe Holman, a shifty forward, had ten points, six on fouls, Butch Van Breda Kolff came up with numerous rebounds and eight points, and Art Wilson's speed set up several Nassau scores.

It was Princeton's second Eastern Collegiate League victory in a row, and the Varsity's second defeat. The Crimson will not be seen again until February 4, when the squad copes with seven-foot-one-inch Elmore Mergenthaler and his Boston College playmates at the Garden.

In the opening contest of the double-header, 5,942 assembled fans saw Holy Cross tie the all-time high scoring mark at the Boston Garden with a 76 to 49 whelping of Valparaiso. G  F  P Davis, lf  1  0  2 Gantt  0  0  0 Page, rf  0  5  5 Gannon  0  0  0 Petrillo  0  1  1 Hauptfuhrer, c  6  1  13 Mariaschin, lg  5  3  13 Brady  0  0  0 Henry, rg  0  1  1 Totals  12  11  35