Freshmen to Get Results of Kuder Tests Next Week

Outcome Will Indicate Possible Fields of Concentration for Hundreds of Men Examined

Hundreds of Freshmen who chewed their electrographic pencils over the Kuder Preference Record in December will get a scientific analysis of their likes and dislikes next week when individual results are distributed, but Henry S. Dyer '27, director of the Office of Tests, cautioned students against taking the report "too seriously."

Its primary purpose, he said, is "to force people to think" about the field of concentration in which they should enroll. He considers the record "only an estimate based on pretty scanty evidence."

The Kuder test consists of a series of triple-answer questions listing activities varying in scope from writing a symphony to tinkering with an electric motor, and attempts to analyze preferences in respect to specific facets of a job or profession.

Will Help Individual Decisions

In the explanatory letter which will be distributed with the individual results, Dyer emphasizes that this "is simply a device for helping you make a detailed analysis of your own likes and dislikes for various types of work activities."

Although never administered to such a large group here previously, the Kuder record has aided Dyer's office with individual cases for some time. In most instances, Dyer relates, the results have proved useful, but occasional "problem boys" who register no likes or dislikes at all are hard to advise.

The experimental part of this work will not be completed immediately. Relationships between last month's findings and aptitude tests as well as a long range comparison with actual professions entered by men who took the test will be the subjects of study by Dyer's office.