Ride the Pink Horse

At the Keith Memorial

Robert Montgomery used his eyes for a camera in "Lady in the Lake," and started a new screen fad. In his latest work, he shifts emphasis to his mouth. The chance of a new craze developing is doubtful; but there are enough close-ups of gum-chewing, envelope-licking and other oral shennanigans to fascinate any dentist. The average fan may not be as overwhelmed, but by close observation he may discover whether Montgomery has his tongue in his cheek. The quality of his performance makes it seem likely.

Playing a blackmailer south of the border, Montgomery clips his words and blanks his stares whenever possible. Funny business is the theme, and six grand is the pay-off. A carnival and merry-go-round provide a unique backdrop for the routine slug-fest that Hollywood associates with the underworld; and despite some stereotyped aspects, the story has few lapses. Montgomery dead-pans adequately and playing opposite is Wanda Hendrix who does her best to appear Mexican and inscrutable, providing good contrast for the know-it-all Montgomery.

As a typical tough guy drama, "Ride the Pink Horse" achieves no great moments; but on the other hand, it doesn't aim for any. Tense and taut throughout, everything conceivable is strained; not even the imagination is overlooked.