New Group to Search for Young New England Scientists

Fletcher G. Watson, assistant professor of Education opened a drive this weekend to stimulate interest in science among students in Now England secondary schools and to develop future scientists. Watson heads the executive committee of the newly-established Now England School Science Council.

Formation of this body was announced Saturday by Watson at a meeting of New England science teachers' organizations at Littauer Center, and in the first such regional activity anywhere in the United States.

"Our purpose is to awaken a general interest in science among students now in public, parochial and private schools in the area, Watson said. There is an increasing deficit in the member of trained workers in scientific fields. We want to discover New England scientists of tomorrow and assist them toward the advanced training so important to their future and to the future of the country."

We want to do more than merely award prizes for good work," Watson the conduct of these local school fairs we feel we can increase interest in science activities and encourage local science students to continue their academic training beyond secondary school."

The Council's program is under the joint direction of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the Boston Museum of science. Among the members of the governing board of the new council in Bart J. Box, professor of Astronomy and associate director of the Harvard Museum. Other members include professors from Massachusetts Institute of Technology and Brown.