Dean's Office Clears 'New Student' For Publication After Sponsor Shift

The New Student, its connection with the HYD deleted from the masthead, has been cleared for release, Robert B. Watson '37, associate Dean of the College and chairman of the Faculty Committee on Student Activities, said yesterday.

In discussing the decision, Dean Watson declared that as far as he was concerned the removal of the Harvard connection took the publication out of his jurisdiction. The first issue of the controversial magazine is being put out by the national American Youth for Democracy organization.

He ruled, however, that the issue could not be sold in special booths in front of dining hall doors, since, he said, that was a privilege reserved for undergraduate activities.

Informed of Dean Watson's action, Geoffrey W. White '48, editor of The New Student asserted that he and other members of the HYD were "disturbed" about the refusal of permission to distribute in dining halls. White said that he had scheduled a conference with Dean Watson on the subject today.

Watson Claims Misunderstanding

The HYD editor rapped the overall Dean's office attitude on the new publication, claiming that his organization had always complied with College rulings. Dean Watson, on the other hand, listed non-conformity with University specifications as the chief reason for the holdup on the magazine. He said he believed that this was the result of misunderstandings rather than a deliberate evasion.

Sponsorship of the magazine was shifted last week when it appeared that clearance as an undergraduate project would be delayed, and Dean Watson disclosed yesterday that a final decision on whether the Harvard name could appear would be taken when his Committee meets a week from today.

At that time, the HYD will be expected to answer certain questions relating to the sponsorship of the magazine and particularly regarding its financial set-up.