Mermen Churn Up 44-31 Triumph at Home; Bullard Victor in 220 and 100

By Richard W. Wallach

Crimson swimmers made a triumphal debut into Eastern Intercollegiate competition Saturday evening at the expense of their West Point visitors 44 to 31, providing the only action of the week in the League. The Academy's defeat makes five fizzles in as many tries for the Cadets, and keeps Ulen's men in the unbeaten ranks.

But Yale, idle as far as the circuit was concerned, churned a little water in their New Haven pool the same night against their alumni, and came up with a new American record in the medley relay. Al Ratkiowich, Paul Girdes, and Captain Ed Heuber hit the top with 1:18.4 against a threesome that included Alan Ford.

Murrary Lost

All this is ominous enough considering that Ulen lost star backstroker Dave Murray a week ago to mid-term graduation, and hence lost both first and second places in this event against the West Point invaders.

Yale pool record set the same night for the 440-yard freestyle, however, is small cause for Crimson worry. Against Army's Norris and Rowell, the Varsity's Jerry German clipped 7.1 seconds off the new Yale mark in going the same 17 and a half laps.

At the end of the second race, a 220 featured by Walt. Bullard's surge in the last lap, Ulen's outfit stood 13 to 1, the most possible points, ahead of the faltering Army. In the 50-yard freestyle which came up next, the soldiery bounced back with the first two places.

Aaron Takes Dive

The dive, both in points and quality, put the locals out in front for sure, with Bob Aaron drawing ample applause along with his 114.3 points. Walt Bullard again turned on the heat in the 100 yard free to become the high scorer of the meet with 10 points.

Army showed signs for regeneration in sweeping the following backstroke, but only succumbed in pressing Chuch Hoelzer as he took the 200-yard breaststroke.

With the 400 freestyle notched, by German, Ulen could afford to exercise his reserves in the 400-yard relay, tossing it with his safe numerical lead to, the opposition.