HLU Group Will Adopt Policy of Active Lobbying

Organizational Discussion Sets Up Committee for Action

Plans for applying more direct political pressure on the Massachusetts and Federal legislatures were approved by the Harvard Liberal Union at its spring organizational meeting last night.

The sixty members attending the discussion voted to abandon the policy of circulating petitions to arouse student sentiment, a method widely used during the fall with mediocre results, in favor of direct lobbying and testimony before legislative committees. Outstanding success of the petitions distributed throughout the University was a resolution condemning the tactics used by the Rankin Committee against Professor Harlow Shapley, which was signed by 1200 students and faculty members.

The HLU also agreed last night to support the campaign for lowering the minimum voting age to eighteen years, and set up two fact-gathering committees to work on matters involving political action and University affairs.

Recent subject of discussion by the Liberal Union was the F.E.P.C. set-up in Massachusetts--under the direction of Commissioner Elwood S. McKenney '38.