Wrestlers Face Best Teams In East at New Haven Meet

By Robert Carswell

The biggest prize in Eastern wrestling comes up today and tomorrow when this section's 15 top wrestling teams get together for the Intercollegiate Championships. With the Bulldog playing host in his Payne-Whitney gymnasium lair in New Haven, an expected total of 120 entries from the members of the Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association will decide among themselves which eight men are the best.

The Crimson, with an average six and six dual meet record behind them, will certainly not enter the championships the favorite. With only four men who are capable of getting anywhere against the class of competition which will appear at New Haven, Chief Boston's men will do well to grab a couple of places. Defending champ Navy and powerhouses from Syracuse, Lehigh and Penn apparently will decide matters.

Pete Fuller, Crimson heavy, and Dan Ray, the 145-pounder, are probably the best bets for Harvard. In order to win Fuller will have to beat Hank O'Shaughnessy and Bob Pickett, of Columbia and Syracuse, both of whom took close decisions over him earlier this winter. Once defeated Ray has already beaten seven of the men whom he might face at New Haven but has not met Navy captain Fletcher.

Harvard's other hopes lie with 136-pounder Frank Trinkle and Captain Don Louria at 165. Both experienced men who have hot-and-cold days, Trinkle is in a class where competition is relatively weak this year while Louria is in one of the better weights. Louria has lost to two men in the tournament; Trinkle, three.

Jim Conant at 155 is in the toughest class of the tourney and will do well to win one round while Phil Busby at 128 also is in a power-laden weight. Busby has been out most of the season with injured ribs. Jim Howard, replacing injured Bib Claflin, will represent the Crimson. Boston had still not picked his 121-pounder last night, and whoever does wrestle will probably be a sacrificial lamb.