Three Faculty Members Win Study Grants

Birkhoff, Darlington, MacLane Become Guggenheim Fellows To Do Individual Research

Two mathematicians and a scientist from the University faculty have received Guggenheim Memorial Fellowships for the coming year, Foundation headquarters in New York announced last night.

Philip J. Darlington, Jr. '34, curator of coleoptera at the Museum of Comparative Zoology, Saunders MacLane, professor of Mathematics, and Garrett Birkhoff '32, professor of Mathematics, are among the nine Massachusetts teachers and artists to obtain grants for work in their fields.

Darlington plans to use his fellowship for studying various species of ground beetles, with emphasis on the Carabides family. Following his graduation he earned both an M.S. and a Ph.D. at the University. During the war he served as an entymologist in the Army Sanitary Corps. His writings have included publications in numerous American and foreign scientific journals.

MacLane Was War Researcher

Professor MacLane, who will concentrate on the study of "the borderline between algebra and algebraic topography," did research work during the war with the Applied Mathematics Group at Columbia. An active member of several mathematical societies, he was on the Board ematical societies, he is on the oBard of Governors of the Mathematical Association of America.

Investigation of hydro-dynamics in various European centers will occupy the time of Professor Birkhoff, who served during the war as a consultant at the Aberdeen Proving Ground and as a technical representative with the Office of Scientific Research and Development.

One of two Massachusetts men to receive a second fellowship was composer Harold Shapero '41 of Newton Center.