Varsity Nine Trounces Lowell, 16-1; Freshmen Sink Junior Varsity, 9-0

Hansen Limits Jayvees to 3 Hits as Sloppy Fielding Lets Yardlings Score 7 in Eighth

Seven innings of no-hit pitching by Johnny Hansen, stocky Yardling pitcher, held the Jayvee nine in check until Freshman batters erupted in the seventh and eighth innings to blast out a 9 to 0 triumph Saturday.

Although he let up and allowed three hits over the final frames, Hansen turned in a fine opening game performance. Occasional streaks of wildness gave him trouble, but he bore down each time to shut the door on the opposition.

Seven Jayvee errors and loose teamplliy made eight of the nine Freshman tallies unearned, although Hal Moffle, Dick Kobuseh, and Myles Huntington each knocked out two hits, with Huntington's double to right-center the only extra-base hit of the game.

Double Play Dames Rally

The Yardling infield worked well in its initial outing, pulling off a fast double play to erase a seventh-inning Jayvee threat. The fielding gem of the afternoon, as far as the losers, were concerned, was a long, accurate throw from centerfielder Sullivan to double up Moffle going into third.

After picking up one run on a walk, a hit, and an error in the first, the Freshmen put plenty of men on base, but were unable to score again until they picked up another unearned counter in the seventh. The eighth brought the final outburst, as seven Yardlings crossed the plate.