Local Beauties Go to Bat In Neck-and-Neck Race for Men

Conventional examinations won't look so-tough this weekend in spite of impending finals and the reams of reading period study which optimistic faculty members have laid out for this week, for four hundred-odd women, many of them the corn-fed, home-bred variety, start a mass descent on the College today.

From the familiar haunts of Radcliffe to faraway Cleveland, the young women-hood of America will converge here to emulate the doings of such former Jubilee guests as Chill Williams and Ann Sheridan.

Publicists Chortle

Union rules, parietal regulations; and local hostelries re buttressed to meet the expected impact of the festive weekend; and Jubilee committeemen, almost (but never quite) buried in their own ballyhoo, are bubbling in anticipation of the opening gong.

Festivities are slated for almost every minute of the hectic two days, with everything from baseball to theater events waiting for the couples. Groggy from the impact of mimeographed, shouted, and printed matter, the average Yardling is expected to rush from the Yale Freshman baseball game to theatre or cocktail before arriving at the evening affair.

Tomorrow night the Union will some-how be metamorphized to resemble a most desirable, if somewhat temporary, ballroom. It is here that six models are reported lying in wait to ensnare unsuspecting Yardlings.

Search for Beauty

"No wonder Harvard men turned to their now-legendary antics," spouted a committee spokesman yesterday as he flipped through his file of available women. His somewhat subjective attitude is perhaps understandable in the light of the three weeks he spent leafing through local model agencies in search of guest talent for Saturday's formal.

With six "beautiful Rogersgirls" scheduled to give a few lucky Yardlings some new and different interpretations of an otherwise old and basic maneuver, amateur beauty will be on its mettle tomorrow. Strong contingents from Radcliffe, Wellesley, Simmons, and assorted other female institutions promise a flight to the finish.

A five-to-one majority would place Radcliffe in the strongest position, numerically at least, to destroy this threatening encroachment of their relatively safe domain. But whether 30 'Cliffedwellers can do more than a smaller but well-organized 23-woman Wellesley force remains to be seen. In any case, it looks like a close, thing all the way.