Four Wherry Oarsmen Pass First Day's Trials

Four men yesterday qualified for the sculling competition finals Friday by finishing first and second in two wherry trial heats on the Charles.

Meanwhile, a field of 16 oarsmen readied for the compromise trials this afternoon, which begin at 3:30 o'clock about 30 yards below the Weeks Memorial Bridge. Eliminations will finish up tomorrow with the rowing of two heats in the novice singles class, for which seven men have registered.

In yesterday's regatta opening, clerk of course Bill Dowd found it necessary to change the method of picking finalists when it became evident that the entries in a scheduled third heat had dropped out. Two heats were rowed and the top men in each--instead of only the winner--qualified for the final.

Nilsson Wins

New Freshman Art Nilsson covered the half-mile course smoothly in four minutes flat to win the first heat and turn in the fastest time of the day. Twelve seconds later Tom Burrowes crossed the finish below the River Street Bridge to qualify also.

With a change in rowing conditions, times were slower for the second heat and produced a closer contest, won by Herman Page. Off to a bad start, Page pulled up on Roger Clapp to win in 4:09. Clapp's time was 4:14. One man was eliminated in each trial.

Finals at 3

The clerk of course announced that the finals will begin at 3 o'clock on Friday.

Compromise trial schedule: first heat--Daniels, Robinson, Savarit, Stannatos; second heat--Bentz, Chenery, Middendorf, Rothstein; third heat--Bennett, Griffith, Lipham, Preston; fourth heat--McNamara, Murphy, Simmons, Torres.

Novice singles trial schedule: first heat--Brewer, Kubie, Queeny, Whitten; second heat--Barroll, Bisbee, Loring.