Jarvis Residents Will Get Housing Priority

Devens Closing Adds to Problem

Married veterans living at Jarvis Field, who will be displaced in June by construction work on the new graduate center, will get top priority on other University housing units.

The clearance of 660 units at Jarvis Field, plus the Army-enforced evacuation of student families from Harvard evens, will reduce the University sponsored veterans housing units to 138 temporary apartments in the Cambridge area. Army plans to take over Harvard evens units were concluded during the summer.

In a statement released yesterday through the office of the Counsellor for Veterans, Vice-President Reynolds stated that "the managing agents for the University's veterans housing projects have made plans to give priority in housing units to those married students now living at Jarvis who have announced their expectation of staying with the University after June. 1949."

The Housing Office estimates that there should be enough vacancies at the Soldiers Field University housing project to handle the 40 families ousted by the proposed graduate school center.

Will Assist Devens Vets

Reynolds also announced that the University agents are making plans to assist student veterans at Harvard evens to find new quarters. When the Army reactivated Fort Devens for the training of draftees, it required that Harvard return the Devens buildings to the government by June 30, 1949.

The families now at Devens are being allowed to remain there until they find other facilities or until at least next June. Though Harvardevens was filed in September, 96 families already have moved to quarters nearer Cambridge.

About 270 veteran families still reside at Harvardevens, and the Housing Office believes some 200 of these will continue at the University next year.