HDC In Print As Patroness Writes Story

From sub-debs to the Dramatic Club, from Snappy Stories to the Atlantic Monthly--that's the literary career of Radclice graduate Lorna Lowery Slocumbe, whose story on HDC "Among the Patronesses" appears in the current issue of the Atlantic Monthly.

While at Radcliffe Miss Slocumbe wrote for the sub-deb department of the Ladies Home Journal and briefly for the Radclice News. As she explained, "A small bit of humor was my last journalistic effort."

Miss Slocumbe gave HDC full credit for inspiring her recent article. "I'm fascinated by the way those kids manage to put on a good show in spite of all sorts of obstacles," she said. As HDC patroness she has had to undertake all sorts of odd jobs, notably the furnishing of a pot for one production and providing a room, her office, for HDC rehearsals.

In recent years her literary bent has been toward free-lance writing, which she supplements by a typing establishment in the Square. Since 1941 she has done secretarial work for such writers as Edmund Wilson, Esther Forbes, Bernard DeVoto and Donald Ogden Steward, and typed the original of A. J. Cronin's "Shannons Way."