'Wife' Claims Share of Gift To University

Half of a million dollar estate willed to the University a year ago by Dr. Harry L. Frevert '05 may go to Eva Jean Schulz, who claims to be his widow by virtue of a common law marriage.

Miss Schulz testified in Philadelphia Orphans Court on Tuesday that she became Dr. Frevert's wife in San Antonio on March 8, 1946.

To back her claim, she produced two witnesses, one of whom testified that Dr. Frevert had called the 1946 trip to Texas a "honeymoon." The second witness--a cousin of Miss Schulz--declared that Frevert spoke of getting married on the excursion.

Even if she proves a common law marriage, Miss Schulz will still have to have it recognized by Pennsylvania, where such alliances are illegal.

The University has retained a firm of Philadelphia lawyers for the Orphans Court hearings.

Dr. Frevert, a former instructor in physical chemistry at Harvard, died last December 11. His will named Harvard as the eventual recipient of his estate, then valued at $500,000, but since revalued at twice the sum. It also made provisions for specific bequests amounting to $70,000. The other beneficiaries are also represented at the Philadelphia hearings.