Condemns Herter

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

Last week we submitted a letter to you challenging University and CRIMSON liberals to come out in support of Congressional candidate Walter O'Brien, Democrat and Progressive. He is opposed by Christian Herter, Republican, who, despite the white-washing given him by Bayard Hooper in last Wednesday's CRIMSON, still holds one of the most reactionary voting records in Congress. Our first letter was not printed. In view of the new situation resulting from publication of Mr. Hooper's article, however, we are confident you will run this reply.

Mr. Hooper termed Herter's voting record on such issues as housing and rent control "conservative." We believe, on the contrary, that a vote for all amendments to weaken OPA, to lift price ceilings on existing homes for sale, against Government subsidy of low cost housing, and for the Walcott "kill rent control" bill is reaction, pure and simple.

An objective look at the facts does not lead us to the view that "the foreign policy issue is Herter's strongest talking point," as Mr. Hooper holds. Herter voted for the discriminatory provisions of the D.P. bill, for arming Greek and Turkish fascists, against extending power to negotiate reciprocal trade agreements for three years, and for his own bill attempting to put the European economy completely in the hands of private U.S. monopolies.

Mr. Hooper claimed that O'Brien is trying to offset his leftist backing by proclaiming his Catholicism. The CRIMSON must recognize the fact that support from Communists does not automatically tie one up with them. Roosevelt in 1944 was backed by the same party with equal if not greater accolades. We challenge the CRIMSON to prove that O'Brien had used his faith to gain votes.

The real issues are Herter's reactionary foreign and domestic record, and O'Brien's fine record of service to the poor and working people of Boston. We cannot support the belief that Herter's foreign policy achievements "should be enough to offset domestic conservatism on election day." Rather, if these are his most important achievements, they are more than valid bases for his defeat. Harvard Committee for Wallace