Springfield Stuns Crimson Quintet

Rally Falls Short as Visitors Win, 59-58

A scrappy, well-prepared Springfield team fought its way to a 59 to 58 upset win over the Crimson in the Indoor Athletic Building last night to keep intact the Varsity's record of wafer-thin margin games.

Sloppy playing on the part of the Barclaymen and Springfield's aggressive shooting and passing combined to overcome a Harvard lead midway in the first half, and at the 20-minute mark the Crimson trailed, 27 to 31.

McCurdy Improves

The Gymnasts held that margin most of the second period, and increased it to 59 to 50 with only a minute and three-quarters left. Four baskets in rapid succession--two by a much-improved Walt McCurdy, and one each by Rockwell and Hauptfuhrer narrowed the gap, but they weren't quite enough.

Officiating brought raucous protests from the slim crowd throughout the game, and a brawl among both teams and the referee was averted just as the contest ended.

The Harvard Summary:     G  F  P Hauptfuhrer, lf  6  3  15 Rockwell, rf  8  2  18 Prior, c  0  3  3 Gannon  1  0  2 Crosby, lg  0  1  1 Henry  0  0  0 Brady, rg  1  0  2 McCurdy  8  1  17     --  --  -- Total  24  10  58