$100,000 Carnegie Research Grant Will Extend Littauer Case System

Considerable extension of the case method of study at the School of Public Administration will come within the next three years as the result of the Carnegie Corporation's recent $100,000 research award to Harvard, Princeton, Council, and Syracuse, Merle Falused professor of Government, disclosed last night.

Upon returning from a weekend meeting of the four-man committee which was created to administer the fund, Professor Fainsod announced that the body will set up a Washington office under a full-time-director to collect case materials for the public administration schools at the four universities.

Although the University's Public Administration School already employs the case method on a small scale, the Carnegie-financed study will "greatly augment the body of available material and will cover many more situations," Professor Fainsod declared.

New Kind of Program

In the main, the program is experimental, the committee said. So far, case study at public administration schools has generally been neglected, while law and business schools have made the most effective use of the system.

"Not only will the case reports of the Washington office be submitted to the four universities for use in public administration instration but they will be generally available to instructor anywhere" Fainsod said.